Two New Flagships for Landcruiser 300 Series
Toyota Australia will launch two dramatically contrasting flagship LandCruiser variants when the all-new 4WD range goes on sale in the fourth quarter of this year.
The dual strategy involves the introduction of GR Sport, offering distinctive off-road character and prowess, and Sahara ZX with a high-quality focus emphasising peerless on-road luxury.
Toyota Australia Vice President Sales, Marketing and Franchise Operations Sean Hanley said the arrival of two new top-of-the-line LandCruiser variants would further broaden the customer appeal of the legendary 4WD.
"Our new GR Sport is the absolute expression of the LandCruiser DNA - the ultimate 4WD that is specially equipped for owners who truly love driving on rough trails and in off-road rallies," Mr Hanley said.
"The graceful styling of the Sahara ZX adds an even more prestigious and advanced high-quality image for customers who use their LandCruiser primarily for urban driving and holiday getaways with their families.
"Impressive new or upgraded features and technologies across the all-new range represent remarkable value, taking LandCruiser SUV luxury to new heights while advancing the legendary model's rugged reputation as the king off the road," he said.
They sit above the familiar LandCruiser GX, GXL, VX and Sahara grades, which are also new from the ground up.
All six variants feature an all-new platform, a more powerful and efficient powertrain, and new equipment and technologies that improve LandCruiser's capability in every dimension.
Together with their expanded specification, the core variants will arrive with price increases ranging from 5.6 to 11.3 per cent, delivering great value across the range.
LANDCRUISER GR SPORT
Developed as a base vehicle for the Dakar Rally, GR Sport delivers a deeper off-road and sporty character that reflects the contribution of the motorsport-inspired GR brand that has become a sales phenomenon in Australia.
The spirit of the new GR Sport is conveyed through design elements and specific features that set it apart as the highest off-road grade in the LandCruiser line-up.
The bold front design features prominent TOYOTA lettering displayed across a gloss-black mesh grille with its signature honeycomb pattern. GR Sport badges adorn the grille, as well as the doors, tailgate, steering wheel, front-seat headrests, ignition button and within the multimedia screen at start-up.
Black 18-inch alloy wheels, dedicated to off-road performance and durability, sit within black wheel arches. Also black are the side steps, door handles, mirror casings and window line. The unpainted front bumper and lower rear bumper emphasise the model's off-road DNA and outstanding capability.
GR Sport's interior offers the choice of two leather-accented trims - a powerful and sporty black with carbon-like ornamentation for customers who intend to undertake heavy off-road use, or an aggressively contrasting red-and-black treatment with black applied around the instrument panel, to ensure durability and ease of use for functional components.
Fittingly, the GR Sport comes standard with front and rear differential locks and the technological innovation of the world-first e-KDSS (electronic Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System).
It enables advanced control of LandCruiser's suspension by independently locking and freeing the front and rear stabiliser bars.
This results in two seemingly contradictory achievements: optimum road holding and wheel articulation in off-road environments combined with a smaller roll angle that delivers a higher level of on-road ride comfort and handling stability.
Equipment shared by the five-seat GR Sport and Sahara ZX includes five driving modes, adaptive variable suspension, adaptive high beam and carbon trim.
LANDCRUISER SAHARA ZX
The unique design of the Sahara ZX builds upon the functional beauty of the core models.
The bold chrome grille, sleek headlights, new taillights and remodelled tailgate contribute to a modernised and refined LandCruiser appearance.
Sahara ZX is further distinguished by unique 20-inch alloy wheels, unique front bumper, body-coloured wheel-arch mouldings, illuminated side steps, front-door scuff plates, rear mudguards and chrome ornamentation on the thick rear bumper.
The leather-accented interior trim is offered in black, beige or red-and-black, as well as carbon-like highlights on the steering wheel, centre console and door trims.
Stand-out equipment includes four heated and ventilated seats, hands-free tailgate with a kick sensor, and a torque-sensing limited-slip differential on the rear axle.
NEW EQUIPMENT, UPGRADES ACROSS THE RANGE
The entire range features a rigid, yet lightweight, TNGA body-on-frame construction that ensures stability and ride comfort across all terrain.
The efficient, V8-beating, 227kW/700Nm twin-turbo V6 engines, together with the new 10-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode, deliver high performance with enhanced fuel efficiency that customers will appreciate.
Newly developed independent front and four-link rear suspension systems make on-road dynamics smooth and refined, with excellent vehicle dynamics.
As the most capable LandCruiser ever, the new range incorporates AWD Integrated Management that harmonises steering assist, brake and throttle control, shift pattern and drive torque distribution for precise handling and stability.
The latest Toyota Safety Sense2 package is standard across the range, including autonomous emergency braking as part of a pre-collision system that can detect pedestrians (day and night) and cyclists during the day.
It also features all-speed active cruise control, auto high beam and lane-keeping technology that steps up to lane-trace assist with steering-wheel vibration in VX variants and above.
Every LandCruiser is equipped with a trailer wiring harness and maximum 3.5-tonne braked towing capacity, plus the security and safety of Toyota Connected Services3 with automatic collision notification4, an SOS button5, and stolen-vehicle tracking6.
Other new features include a 9-inch display screen on GX and GXL (was 6.1"), expanding to 12.3-inch on VX and above, smartphone integration, road-sign assist2, dusk-sensing headlamps, electric park brake and downhill assist control.
The new range kicks off with the GX that is now fitted with a single-piece tailgate. It gains LED headlamps, keyless smart entry and ignition, two-zone automatic air-conditioning, steering-wheel controls, reversing camera and one-touch power windows for all doors.
Moving up to the popular seven-seat GXL grade, newly expanded equipment levels include 18-inch alloy wheels, rear cross-traffic alert, blind-spot monitor, Qi wireless phone charger7 and auto-dimming rear-view mirror.
The GXL is equipped for the first time with multi-terrain select, which helps drivers tackle challenging road conditions with confidence by regulating wheelspin for improved traction.
For the VX LandCruiser, premium features now include the 12.3-inch multimedia display screen, 10 speakers (+1), a 7-inch colour multi-info display (was 4.2"), four-zone automatic climate control (+2), eight cupholders (+2), remote power windows and features previously reserved for Sahara including power-adjustable steering wheel and heated and ventilated front seats.
Further VX additions include rear parking support brake, panoramic view monitor and Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management that links traction control, electronic stability control, electric steering and other systems to improve performance, responsiveness to driver input and safety.
At the top of the core grades, the new Sahara adds features specified for the first time in a LandCruiser including a 14-speaker premium JBL®8 audio, head-up display, heated steering wheel, easy-access ventilation for the heated second-row seats, power-folding third-row seats, and easy-access seats.
|Overall length||GX/GXL/VX/Sahara: 4980mm
Sahara ZX: 5015mm
GR Sport: 4995mm
|Overall width||GX: 2000mm (with snorkel)
GR Sport: 1990mm
|Front track||GX (with 17" tyre): 1687mm
GXL/VX/Sahara/ZX/GR Sport: 1667mm
|Rear track||GX (with 17" tyre): 1688mm
GXL/VX/Sahara/ZX/GR Sport: 1668mm
|Running ground clearance||235mm|
|Front overhang||GX/GXL/VX/Sahara: 920mm
Sahara ZX: 945mm
GR Sport: 935mm
|Rear overhang||GX/GXL/VX/Sahara/GR Sport: 1210mm
Sahara ZX: 1220mm
|Approach angle||GX/GXL/VX/Sahara/GR Sport: 32°
Sahara ZX: 24°
|WEIGHTS AND CAPACITIES9|
|Maximum kerb weight||GX: 2470kg
Sahara ZX: 2570kg
GR Sport: 2580kg
|Gross vehicle mass||3280kg|
|Fuel tank capacity||
110 litres (80L main tank/30L sub-tank)
GX/Sahara ZX/GR Sport: 5 people
|TURBO DIESEL ENGINE|
|Type||Twin turbo V6|
|Valve mechanism||24-valve DOHC, chain drive|
|Bore x stroke||86.0mm x 96.0mm|
|Power||227kW @ 4000rpm|
|Torque||700Nm @ 1600-2600rpm|
|Fuel system||Fuel injection|
|Min fuel octane||48|
Permanent AWD with low-range transfer case
GX/GXL/VX/Sahara: Centre differential lock
|Selectable modes||Multi-terrain select with Auto, Dirt, Sand, Mud, Deep Snow, Rock modes (excluding GX)|
|FUEL ECONOMY10 AND CO2 EMISSIONS11|
|Combined fuel economy||
|Extra-urban fuel economy||
|Urban fuel economy||
|Combined CO2 emissions||
|Extra Urban CO2 emissions||
|Urban CO2 emissions||
2. Driver assist feature. Only operates under certain conditions. Check your Owner's Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely.
3. Not available outside Australia or if services are disabled or terminated. Dependent on 4G enabled DCM, GPS signal strength, mobile network coverage, operational related components and other factors outside Toyota's control which can limit the ability or functionality of the system. Check your Owner's Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely.
4. Driver assist feature only. Not a substitute for safe driving practices. Not available outside Australia or if service is disabled or terminated. Only activates if vehicle's DCM detects airbag deployment or an impact sensor notification. Dependent on 4G enabled DCM, GPS signal strength, mobile network coverage, operational related components and other factors outside Toyota's control which can limit the ability or functionality of the system. Check your Owner's Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely.
5. Driver assist feature only. Not a substitute for safe driving practices. Not available outside Australia or if service is disabled or terminated. Only operates if vehicle's SOS button is pressed. Dependent on 4G enabled DCM, GPS signal strength, mobile network coverage, operational related components and other factors outside Toyota's control which can limit the ability or functionality of the system. Check your Owner's Manual for explanation of limitations. Please drive safely.
6. Not available outside Australia or if service is disabled or terminated. Dependent on sufficient battery power, 4G enabled DCM, GPS signal strength, mobile network coverage, operational related components and other factors outside Toyota's control which can limit the ability or functionality of the system. Guest required to obtain police report. Vehicle location information, if available, only provided to Police. Vehicle recovery not guaranteed. For details, visit www.toyota.com.au/connected/faq-support.
7. Only Qi-supported devices compatible. Refer to device manufacturer. May require additional purchase of accessory to support wireless charging.
8. Product & company names are trademarks of their respective owners.
9. Weights/mass/volumes/dimensions are approximate and subject to individual vehicle variances, and should be confirmed before fitting any accessories, towing or otherwise relying on this value.
10. Achieved in test conditions for comparison purposes only. Actual fuel consumption varies depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle condition, load and options/accessories fitted. Source: ADR81/02 combined/urban/extra urban (L/100km) for manual / auto models.
11. Emissions vary depending on driving conditions/style, vehicle condition & options/accessories fitted.